Thursday, February 17, 2011

Teaching.

I guess I should talk about classes and teaching once in a while.  Since that's what I came here to do and all. 

I really like it so far.  I'm currently finishing up my fourth week and can't believe it's gone this quickly.  I like if not love and adore most of my students.  (Except for that one class of three women who stare at me.  It's like pulling teeth getting them to talk.)  Most days I have two classes, Tuesdays I have three, and Fridays I have one.  I'm still learning a lot, but at the end of each week I've had a "step up your game" talk with myself and I'll find more resources and talk to other teachers about what they do.  We had to teach 45 minute lessons in the TEFL course and that felt like a long time and a lot of effort to make it last that long.  Most of my classes are 90 minutes and I haven't really had that problem yet.  In class we had to follow the formula they wanted us to and were being observed, but it's a lot more relaxed doing my own thing.  I still use what I learned but nobody cares if we get sidetracked and talk about other stuff or spend the last part of class just in discussion.  Most of them just want to speak in English and be corrected anyway. 

The only thing I don't like is dealing with stuff for my school.  I should just be happy they hired me and all, but I have to turn in evaluations on the students, and make a "course plan", and meet with my senior teacher, and attend workshops now and then, etc.  Probably the downside of teaching anything anywhere so I just suck it up. 

Having a routine has been fantastic though.  I think the staying busy and having obligations is mostly what has made the time go quickly.  My mental and emotional state has evened out, where before when I was job hunting and trying to fill the cold days up with something I'd have high highs and low lows every single day.  I don't feel like I need to be around people quite as much either.  Although that is important and fun and probably my favorite thing about being here. 

Another great thing is the late cancellations.  If a class cancels 24 hours or less before the meeting time I still get paid.  I've had two so far, whut up!

No comments:

Post a Comment