Saturday, November 20, 2010

Saturday Mine!

This was the first day that was really mine to hit the city.  I'd already seen a lot in groups but I was excited to wander around (alone!) and do the things I really wanted to do. So I set out with my metro pass, my map of Prague, and some good shoes. 

I got on the metro by my apartment and rode it up by Wensceslas Square to do the Mucha museum.  It's hard not to love Art Nouveau.  It's easy to hate loving Art Nouveau. It's just so pretty, but at the same time compositionally badass and foward thinking.  He's just so good, and it was really cool.  Not very big but I spent a good 30 min. in there.  There were a few unfinished prints where the registration had come out a little off, and those were cool to see. 

Then I took the metro across (under) the river.  I had brought a banana and some bread and cookies and made my lunch on a bench overlooking the Vltava and Charles bridge.  It was one of those moments I really realized where I was and how exciting this is.  It's easy to forget with the routine of going to class and living somewhere and getting groceries and whatnot. 

Then I did the Kafka museum.  I'm not the worlds biggest Kafka fan, but I like what I've read.  And besides, I have Benedict Cumberbatch reading "Metamorphesis" on my iPod.  What are ya gonna do?  The museum was cool and more than a little creepy.  I like learning about the people behind things.  Biographies are just about the only non-fiction I can sit down and read, and I always love a good bio-pic.  This was in Mala Strana district which I really really enjoyed.  It was very low-key. There were still tourists like me around but not in big crowds. 
Also in Mala Strana, the Lennon wall.  Tribute to the man, and famous symbol for freedom of speech.  Prague has some oppressive history and this came about in a time when that wasn't something allowed.  Obviously the wall has stuck around.  (Really though, the last minute and eighteen seconds of "All You Need Is Love" is one of my favorite things in the entire world.) 

It was cloudy but not too cold.  Of course the sun came out right as I started to get close to home.  I wandered around the park near my place to watch people and soak up some sunshine.  And now I'm at the apartment putting off homework.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an excellent 'getting to know the city' day. I love lunches like that, where you just take something portable and eat at a spot that looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds just about perfect! Thank you for sharing your adventures with us.

    ReplyDelete