Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Those who can't teach....teach gym.

For a while now I've made fun of education majors.  (One of them once informed me that she didn't know Canada had its own currency.  Ironic, yes?)   I think I'll need to stop doing that now though. 

We started teaching this week and it's hard.  Standing up in front of people and teaching non-English speakers isn't, it's the lesson planning that's getting me.  I desperately wish that we could teach from manufactured, known-to-be-effective printouts.  But that's not how TLH rolls.  I'm sure in the long run I'll be happier for it but this first week has been brutal for the whole class.  I've had flashbacks to college days where I would start papers by typing my name, the date, the teacher's name, the class number, a title I won't wind up using, and then PROCRASTINATOR!  in huge letters.  It's kind of like that.  Of course, I do a mediocre job the night before and then think of something really awesome 15 minutes before class.  I think it'll get better though. 

So Monday-Thursday we teach a class in the afternoon.  We'll do that for three weeks and switch levels as we go.  I got the Intermediates this week.  They're a fun group, but it's kind of a good and bad thing that they know as much English as they do.  It'll be interesting to see which level I'll like the most since I really have no idea.

The week has been busy, and the weather cold and cloudy, but there is a streak of awesome to be had.  I have found Sci-fi fans.  And they watch Firefly every Monday.  Not only that but they know Orson Scott Card, Doctor Who, Neil Gaiman, and more.  I joined the watch this week and feel like everything is going to be okay.  But really, there seems to be a tight group of expats here anyway.  I've met a lot of Americans (several Texans!), Brits, and an Aussie. 

To be honest, I'll probably still make fun of education majors.  I make fun of everybody, why should they get special treatment?  Lets just say I have a new-found respect for those who can't do.

2 comments:

  1. eh, dont worry, i used to stress and make detailed lesson plans. and then i got to where i would make them up on my drive to work...which only took 8 minutes. happy thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still hate lesson plans! We have to turn them in every Monday and I wait until Sunday night to do them. Then, I usually end up doing something better as I feel my way through the week. I have ultimately come to admit that it is good to have an outline in case inspiration doesn't strike. Rachel

    ReplyDelete