Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Goddess on a highway. Got us in the car.

6 Month anniversary!!!  Half a year abroad.  It's a big one.  I have friends who have been here for years but this feels like a pretty big deal/acomplishment(?). 

Also, Friday is my birthday!  I was a little miffed because one of my TEFL friends stole my idea and birthday thunder by having a party in the beer garden for her husband.  They got to the day first, fair enough.  However, I needn't worry.  I've been told to be free around 3:00pm on the day.  Don't know what's going on.  Don't know who will be there besides the inviter, (probably not the TEFL group at the other party).  I do know that there won't be ponies.  I asked.  Will report what happens on Saturday....or probably later.

Saw Mercury Rev last night (at a lame club called Roxy).  Apparently they've been around a while and are semi-big.  Never heard of them until music friend shared some with me and then shortly after we saw a poster advertising the concert.  Weird but cool.  I'd tried to listen up on them a bit before the show.  They're not quite my style but I dug songs here and there.  They were really awesome live though.  They had that been-together-a-long-time-well-oiled-machine thing going on.  It was super loud and crazy with the lights.  All of the songs I'd heard softer album versions of were taken up to 11.  They were all full of energy, especially the front man.  Bunch of middle aged dudes still rocking.  There were probably only about 150 people there and we were quite possibly the youngest ones (by not too much).  It was a diverse crowd though, and you could pick out the super-fans.  I thought the band might be put off by the size of the crowd but they gave it their all, seemed to have a great time, and were really gracious and smiley at the end.  Need to listen to more.  Having another music night with the boys tomorrow, excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment