Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year!

The city of Prague didn't have its regular New Years firework show due to the current economic crisis. 

That really didn't matter. 

I've never been in a big city for New Years, and while I avoided the bustling, touristy areas the streets were still looking alive.  I started out wandering around with my TEFL friends, texting other people to see what they were doing.  I had plans to go to a party but couldn't get ahold of the girl who invited me.  We walked, and hopped trams, and met up with others and split up.  We watched people's fireworks that were going off everywhere and people drinking in the streets (and joined them).  I think I surprised some people with a loud, customary Texas whoop after particularly good fireworks.  Some of us split up and me and another TEFL girl couldn't find the right street the apartment party was on.  It was better for it though because we were right by Namesti Miru, my favorite square.  Tons of fireworks going off and lots of other people but with pleanty of elbow room.  They turned off the lights on the church there to see the show better.  Not just the last ten seconds but the whole last minute of 2010 were crazy.  You couldn't hear a break in the explosions.  We'd been carrying around cheap champagne and popped it open, sprayed some around, and split the rest between us.  Everyone around was doing the same thing, shaking bottles, setting off fireworks, hugging, kissing. 

Definitely one of my "I'M IN PRAGUE AND THIS IS ACTUALLY HAPPENING!" moments. 

Things didn't exactly die down but we were getting cold so finally found the apartment.  A friend I've made here from Uganda invited me and we found her and a couple of other people I met at Christmas.  Almost everyone else there was from Africa and they were playing some mad beats to rock the streets.  This is a cracker country, and it was fun to hang with a more diverse group.  Oh yes, don't even think I didn't dance all night.  And tell Texas jokes. 

We all made it home in the wee hours of the morning and here I sit at nearly 3pm thinking about getting dressed for the day.  It's kind of been one big party since Christmas, which I think I really really needed.  Monday I'm getting back to the whole mature and responsible adult thing.  Gonna get a job so I can stick around this town that knows how to ring in the new year.  :)

1 comment: